Thursday, April 26, 2007

1972. The year that made my life

There are some people that do not agree with me with the outcome of the election between McGovern & nixon. But, as I sat stuffing envelopes, during the 1972 election at the "National Headquarters". I knew this guy was one of the best men I would ever meet.

I remember the fun, but at the same time serious aura of working there.

And that is why I helped out the next time around.

But while riding my ten-speed home down 18th street, after volunteering for the next campaign. I hit a pot-hole, destroyed the whole front end of my bike. [handlebar broke & dropped into the spokes]. Fortunately there was an SFPD two cars back from the idiot that tried to pass me thus forcing me into the pothole.

He helped me up, took me home, and I will never forget the look on my mothers face when I got out of the police car. After explaining what had happened, and with my bike totally trashed.

DIRECTLY TO THE HOSPITAL!

{seriously, I meant this post to be short. But this cathartic.}

The next summer my grandmother noticed & thought the lump on my shoulder might be a cancer. So I go back into the hospital, {I can't name it, but it used to start with an 'S', and still does}, and I go through x-ray & a bunch of other crap only to find out that I had a compacted bone in my right shoulder.

SO, Now to the point....

I got an email from my father. He is responsible for my political, but he & my mother shaped me into the socially conscious person I am now.

BUT NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT AT TIMES!!

So, not to bore you anymore, and I know that you are wondering were the hell I am going with this.............

Dick Cheney made a comment about George McGovern. And for me, I hurt.

The text from the email my father received this info was:

At last, Senator McGovern answered the recent uncalled for swipe taken by Vice President Cheney. Cheney attempted to blackball opponents to continuing the invasion and occupation of Iraq by comparing them to George McGovern. Cheney, who avoided service in our nation’s military, felt that comparing war opponents to McGovern would stir national hatred against the Democrats in Congress. Frankly, comparing the Democratic members of Congress to a World War II hero who was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross serves as a compliment to them. Do you know any Republicans who’d feel honored being called a “Dick Cheney Republican?”

I have prattled on long enough. Here are the links to the L.A. Times story. Otherwise this post will now go on forever. However, I still cannot believe the VP of our nation would be as dumb as his boss for such a public flub.


George McGovern: Cheney is wrong about me, wrong about war

And the opinions of others:

Votes of support for McGovern

Blessed Be, and please, I ask you to not be an ass to those that give a crap about OUR nation

Dr. S.

No comments: