Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Poll dances, and those who can't focus groups

I just got back, (after a short visit to willy's), from having to do A/V support for a "focus group". This is where you get all the opinions, preferences, and what-not, from people. Not the people on the *reality* shows that you see on TV. These are REAL FRIGGIN, mom & dad, dirt under the nails, King of the Hill people.

The only problem today was out of 12 for the 1st meeting only 3 showed. Not something you can pull a legit rendering of opinion of the populous (sp).

So, after spending several hours setting up two conference rooms with, 5 microphones, vid-camera, 2 video feeds, a cassette deck & PA (which was not needed), mixer, & seperate video & audio recording feeds, I ended up sitting & playing spider solitare on my laptop.

They still had another group and the promise of a free dinner, so I was not really torqued yet. I had found my Ultimate Rollercoaster, SIMS, & Ghost Recon CD's in my gig bag. And while everyone else in the room was bitching about the food, I was either:
1} trying to get out of a war zone.
2} creating a wooden-coaster, {AKA woodie}, that has a 21g turn & bank going into a double loop
3} make sure the sim-house I created with two *friendly* females, doesn't get more perverse than what was originally intended. {let your imagination rome on that, the software will not allow some of the requests a few of my friends have had, and there are some things I will not do to my psudo-lesbian creations} It's just degrading.

ANYWAY, they cancelled the 2nd group after much thought & more in-bitching because the people that brought in the people to tell THESE people, brought in a totally wrong demographic of people. They made a choice, pay the lemmings & let them go, or run into the waiting room & yell "THERE'S A FIRE, RUN AWAY", & split the money.

They decided to pay the lab rats, let them free, then ate a few slices of cheesecake left from dinner, & finally went off to the bars.

I, on the otherhand, had to rip apart all the shit I had set up for nothing. No 'thanks alot', or 'sorry for wasting your time', or 'do you need a hand with that?'.

And I have to do it all again tomorrow 90+ miles away....

Blessed Be,
Dr. Strangelove

No comments: