Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Fare thee well . . . - You will be missed Chalma!

I went to work early last night to get in a couple of hours fixing crap people have broken, get some sleep, and go work "The Full Monty" @ 8am this morning.

I came home & noticed a new message on my machine & almost did not play it.

I wished I hadn't, but now I'm glad I did.

I heard my dads voice & immediately I knew it had finally happened. My Grandpa had died around 11 pm last night after battling Alzheimers for a long period of time.

He was one of the people that worked on the projects that brought the first robotic assembly lines to life at Ford motors. He also was the 'guy down the street', that you asked first about what might be wrong with your car, household appliance, or damn near ANYTHING that needed fixing. If he did not know, he would find a way of figuring out how to fix it. Mind you this was before duct tape, hotmelt glue, & bailing wire became a popular staple of the handyman.

My Grandfather was a marvel at figuring out just how things work. And making them work better. He & my father are the ones that I blame for my intuition & curiosity of fixing things. As I was always cracking things open to see how they worked, then attempting to see if I could put it back together without getting into trouble for breaking it in the first place.

Case in point, This morning in the very short time I was at Century, I fixed a bunch of things with nothing more than 2 wrenches, a screw gun & four pieces of 1/8" thick wire. The reason I think I am able to do that is the common & analytical sense that I got from Grandpa as well as my dad, {who got it from my Grandpa as well, but refined it a bit}.



He went peacefully.


My Grandpa, Chalma Barnes




Grandpa & My Dad









I have always looked up to you, & always will...



Good Bye.


No comments: