Thursday, December 08, 2005

Movie Reviews of 2005 #25 - The Chronicles of Narnia

OK. I will start this off by stating that the self-righteous assholes out there that are raising a big stink about this movie, need to go & get a life that consists of more than playing RPG's on the internet in the parent's basement/attic, and finding hidden messages in the want ads.

THIS IS AN ALL OUT GREAT MOVIE! When the Disney opening logo came up & there was a dark screen I fell back in my seat thinking, "Oh crap, nine reels {2h:15m+} of smarmy touchy tripe from the rat-gods!". It is slow to get up & going & a very darkly imaged film at the start, and if you are not familiar with the story, or like me, have not read it in over thirty-two years, you will not know what the hell is going on. But as the film goes on, the exposition is not being stuffed down your throat and develops very nicely. And soon you find yourself in the story & following along with the characters as the story progresses.

ALSO, from the start you will notice the CGI & special effects are absolutely FREAKIN' FANTASTIC! {That is once you realize when it is being used}. The detailing is the best I have seen in a movie in years. And that includes the last star wars, Sin City, & other "super-hyper effect" movies. When a group walks through snow, they all left separate foot tracks, when the lion Aslan speaks to the others across a candle-lit table the flames move with his breath. Plain & simple, Harry Potter & the troll movies about hoarding rings can drop to the ground & kiss this movie's ass in production beauty & stunning effects.

When I left the theatre I knew I had seen a good movie. The more I have been thinking about it, I really like it. And it is something that the whole family will enjoy without any concern of offense, but less concern of going into a diabetic seizure from the standard Disney sugar coating that they normally force feed to us theatre goers as of the last few years.

Personally I think the movie is great, but I also think it could have been better if it had not been produced by the minions of Mike Eisner & co.

Go see this movie.

Blessed Be, Dr. Strangelove

No comments: