Friday, January 07, 2005

Movie Reviews of 2005 #01 - White Noise

I figured I could do a running thing, then I got short of breath.

So then I decided to do a different running thing here by doing a series of posts on the movies I see in the dry runs we do @ the theatre, {A dry run is the 1st run of a print to check for any problems after they build all of the trailers and reels of a movie into one huge platter}.

Before I start though..... We now have the print *Finding Neverland* back again!!! Yes Led, it is in the building, it has been viewed, and it opens to the public {FINALLY!}, @ 11:55 this morning. I think it is one of the best movies to have come out in a batch of real crap that was released in the last 8 months. But I promised that I will not spill the details until Led, JetJr., & Sidero see it.

That aside, I saw White Noise this morning. I would hotlink the title to IMDB's page, but they give away something that ruins 3/4 of the movie.

It is a good movie, Michael Keaton stars as an architect that lost his wife, gets contacted by someone who says she is talking to him by means of EVP, which is short for Electronic Voice Phenomena, where you communicate via {for lack of a better phrase} dead channels on radios & TV's. Past that I really can't add to the storyline without saying too much to ruin the show for the viewer.

Several questions came up at the start of the show. After I asked "Why is Keaton cast as a construction related character so much?". That led to the query of when the last time he did a movie was. Which then begat the question ". . . his last movie, or his last GOOD movie?". And this went on as the three of us sat waiting for something scary to happen.

The movie was immediately impressive by the sound design, layering, and editing, but it took a long time with exposition to get to the creepy stuff. Even so, as we waited, some of the scenes were set up to the point of us guessing/knowing what was going to happen next, which lulled us into getting a bit of a leap when the creepy shit was let loose on us.

It is again a good movie, a great creep show once it gets going. After seeing it, it could cause one to think about turning the radio & TV off before going to bed at night.

After viewing it I was up in my workshop & the radio went to static when I walked by it. My neckhair stood up. I then went back down to the lobby as the two other guys were leaving me alone in the building for the night. At that time the farthest ceiling light of the west hallway in the theatre complex started randomly blinking on & off.

I immediately fixed the antenna on the radio, changed the lightbulb out, and made sure my cell phone was on & 911 was programmed.

All in all, I give White Noise a:
5/8's cup of soda, with no bathroom or smoke breaks.

That is how much soda I managed to drink during the show, where a full cup is bad because I didn't get into the flick, and no soda means I got into it enough that I forgot to drink, more/less lost track of time. The other two are self explanatory.

Blessed Be All, & Merry New Year!
Dr. Strangelove

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be bringing some people along to catch "Finding Neverland" later this week. Just when I was beginning to lose hope that theater owners in Sioux Falls were as smart as a sack of hammers.

-Led