Friday, March 24, 2006

losing a friend

I was surfing the net last night & got an email that a dog that I have taken care of several times by dog sitting is going to get put down today due to illness.

Bear will be missed. Not just by his owners, but others that also had the good luck to take care of him as well.

Some say that dogs are companions, oblivious to what is going on around them.

After losing my own dog Heidi, I learned that they know much more than humans could ever conceive. Dogs are some of the best friends & true to the people that they know. They are not dumb. They just play that way to lull you in. Then the next thing you know, you wake up with a giant mass of fur next to you wanting your attention.

And you give it.

Not because you have to, because you want to.

Good bye Bear, I'll keep a treat for you.

Dr. S.

Update: 5:12 3/24 - I had a chance to say good bye to Bear about a half hour ago. He did not look good. I don't know wether I cried because I could see how bad off he was, or because I knew that was the last time I would see him. But I did cry. I gave him a couple of those 50 cent little smokies beef sticks, {which he loves}, scratched his back, & gave him a big hug.

Ya' know for being in my 40's, there still are moments when I feel like a kid.

No comments: