Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Rigging, and how to not strap yourself down

OK. I will admit I have been a total asshole to everyone around me for the last five or six days.

I have had a buttload of things come down on me in a very short period of time.

I do not know where to begin. But I will try.

Today is the deadline for applications for getting certified in rigging. Not the kind of bullshit "I took a seminar & got a piece of paper saying I know what I am doing".
THIS IS ACTUAL CERTIFICATION RECOGNIZED BY EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD!

For those that do not know what I speak of. . . If you go to a concert, major art event, or anything involving 12 ton to 12 oz. Hanging above, it needs to be hung by someone that knows what the hell needs to be done in order to not cause harm to either staff or audience.

I took training from one of the top of the field, Bill Sapsis, 2 years ago. I have studied rigging, I have done rigging, I have corrected people on how they have rigged things. I admit, I am a pain in the ass about the safety of some of the things that I see. The people in Cali. thought I was joking about needing fall arrest safety harnesses, and a spotter on the ground, when they said I had to "dust the ceiling above the snack bar".

NOTE: In order to do this, I had to be 25+ feet in the air, and between 15' & 36' off center from the lift base and be able to drive the thing without seeing what I might run into. Yeah, I didn't need a spotter!

Anyway, last Thursday I found out that I might not qualify for even being considered for taking the tests to get certified as a rigger.


That pissed me off.

Then I get a royal ass chewing from:
  • Not One
  • Not Two
  • Not even in the single digits
All weekend long about one thing or another.

I am a heartless cad. Uncaring S.O.B. No direction in my life. Bunny Killer.

Well, as of yesterday, {Mon. 8/1/05}, it is official that I am not even close to getting even NEAR to any of the rigging cert. tests.

It is amazing that I can lose one of my best friends, possibly lose my job, might lose my home, my hair, & my mother, {reverse that order please}.

And I get pissy with everyone in my life,

because of a fucking test.

If I have not done so already, I sincerely apologize to all.

Blessed Be, Dr. S.

No comments: